ART SUPPLIES

Friday, October 30, 2009

MY OWN PERSONAL MARATHON

"There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be." ~George Sheehan

The other day while I was running down Alii Drive feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't run in the Honolulu Marathon in December, I came up with a great idea. Why not hold my own personal marathon? I can't make it over to Oahu on December 13 but I can still run a marathon right here in Kona on that day.

So I came up with a plan: I'll run the Ironman marathon course on the same day (Sunday, Dec. 13) and at the same time (start time: 5 a.m.) as the Honolulu marathon.

"A runner runs against himself, against the best that's in him. ... That's the way to be great, running against yourself. Against all the rotten mess in the world. Against God, if you’re good enough." From the book "The Games"

So I'm going to run a marathon against myself. I did something similar last June during the Kona marathon. I wanted to run the half marathon but I also wanted to walk with Rebecca while she did the 5K race in her wheelchair. So I ran the half marathon the day before the real race and compared my time with the race finishers to see where I would have placed.

I don't know how the Ironman marathon course compares to the Honolulu marathon course but that doesn't really matter. I'm just going to go out and try to get the best time I can and hopefully beat my Ironman time. Karen volunteered to be a traveling aid station and Kona boy Sam may be joining me for the race. A two-man marathon!!! woo hoo! Anyone is welcome to come down to the pier on Dec. 13 at 5 in the morning and run their own personal marathon as well.

So if you happen to be in town Sunday, December 13, between 5 and 9 or so in the morning and see a runner or two followed by a moped give us a shout. Take care.

1 comment:

debbie said...

Wow I can only wish that I will be there to watch you. But what a fun idea.

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...