ART SUPPLIES

Monday, May 26, 2008

A PITY PARTY, BRING IN THE VIOLINS

Yes, I'm throwing a pity party, so if you've had one recently bring your violins and lets party! Karen and I have been throwing a few pity parties together for the past couple of days. I know I don't have a right to complain after what Karen has been through, but like the song says, "it's my party and I'll cry if I want too ..."

What a roller coaster ride. When you have an injury, that's what it feels like you are on. At least emotionally. There are days I feel like I'm healing fast and I'm eager for Saturday to get here. Then there are the other days (and sometimes it's just a matter of hours) when I feel like I'm not healing at all and I dread that race day is so close. It gets very frustrating knowing that I am finally in pretty good shape, but can't walk without a limp or without it hurting, let alone try to run. And on top of all that, I have a brand new pair of running shoes that my work bought me that I haven't even been able to try out.

Let's back up for a minute. For the past few weeks I've been having a pain in my right calf area whenever I run. Late last week just when I was about finished with my run my calf decided to amp up the pain a few notches. I'm not sure if I pulled something, all I know is I can't put too much weight on my toes without my calf feeling like I'm being hit with a baseball bat. For a few days I couldn't even pedal my bike. (HEAR THOSE VIOLINS YET????)

At least now I can pedal without any pain. I rode the indoor trainer for 30 minutes today with no problem. Progress? I hope so. But that's how my days/hours have been. I get all excited because the pains about gone and I can put some weight on my toes, then a little later, I can barely walk. Depressing to say the least. I AM NOT A PATIENT PERSON.

I've been spending a lot of time in the pool swimming and aqua jogging. I'm finding out that aqua jogging is pretty hard. Strike that, It's very hard. I'm breathing harder just doing one lap in the pool than I do when I'm out on the road. Even when I heal up, I'm adding aqua jogging to my training. Today I swam for 30 minutes, then "jogged" in the pool for 30 min., then rode the indoor trainer for 30 min. And my legs were beat.

I'm determined to finish Honu no matter what my leg is feeling like (CUE VIOLINS AGAIN). As long as I can hit the bike hard I should be able to make the time limit on the run, even if I have to walk the whole thing. I'm still optimistic that my leg will be pretty strong by Saturday. I'm icing it, wrapping it, elevating it and having lots of water therapy. Who knows, maybe once I get warmed up on the run it'll loosen up and be just fine. That's what I'm hoping for. Expect the worst, hope for the best ... or something like that.

OK, party's over. Let me know if anyone needs a few violins ... Hey Honey, where's my Rocky theme song CD at?

1 comment:

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

The calf reminds me of Harry. He used to ice it up and always did well in the race. If you can run to Holualoa it can't be all that bad. As Harry would say: "Rest 'em up!" At this point just take it easy and it will all work out fine!

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...