ART SUPPLIES

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

DO VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?

"Food is an important part of a balanced diet." — Fran Lebowitz

Well, I suppose it was inevitable. After all this work getting into shape, it comes down to the hard choices: Eat what's good, or eat what's good for you.

I wanted to keep eating what's good, and if it happens to be good for me then all the better. But Karen talked me into changing our diet by convincing me it would improve my racing. So we went to Border's and bought a nutrition book and a book on diet and nutrition for athletes. GOODBYE SPAM COOKBOOK! SO LONG SPAMCHOWDER — WE HAD MANY A ROMANTIC DINNERS ... YOU WILL BE MISSED!

After reading the first chapter of the athletes diet book, it's a wonder I can last past my warm up. I've been eating everything wrong. And at the wrong times apparently, too. There's a lot of thought that needs to go into choosing what foods to eat and when. What happened to the simple days. When I was a kid my family's menu consisted of two choices: take it or leave it. Now there's things like carbohydrates, proteins, branched chain amino acids, glycemic indexes, and acidosis to consider. Not to mention when you should eat.

Hopefully, I'll catch on to this healthy eating thing. After all, I can use all the help I can get when it comes to racing.

Honestly, my diet isn't that bad. I don't really eat SPAM. But I do have a SPAM cookbook. So if you want the recipe for Fifty-Year Meatballs or SPAM-stuffed Washington Apples, let me know.

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

Oh my gosh, you DON'T eat spam! Do you know how yummy a hot spam musubi is!?! Those are the favorite food in my life... I rarely get to eat them because they are so bad for me but OH MAN I LOVE MUSUBIS!

Enjoy the new book... I have a cool nutrition book for athletes too if you want to borrow it after you read that one. Oh, nice to see you on the road this morning too and I think you should do Honu! hee hee!

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...