ART SUPPLIES

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

IN THE END, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE JOURNEY

“The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.” So wrote an American novelist and poet.

The summer between my sixth and seventh year in school, my mom, my sisters and my brother and I, along with my aunt, uncle and cousin, crammed into a car and headed from Oregon to Indiana to visit our relatives. It was hot, smelly, cramped and long. But the funny thing is, I don't remember too much about who we went to see, what we did there or what it looked like. But I do remember the journey. The states we drove through, the sights, the sounds. And even though it was uncomfortable and tiring, it was fun. It was an adventure.

As race day approaches, I was reflecting on the past seven months of training. From couch potato to triathlete. All the miles of biking, swimming and running. In the past couple of weeks alone I've biked 203 miles, ran 56 miles and swam 33,000 yards. Not a lot for a lot of athletes, but for me I'm amazed and proud.

I'm sure as time goes by, I'm going to forget all the details of the Honu this Saturday. The scenery, how I felt, how hard it was. But you know what? I think I'll always remember my first ride to Hawi, that great run to Paul's Place up Hualalai, seeing that manta ray at Hapuna and thinking it was a shark at first (and how fast I really can swim when scared). And especially all the wonderful people I've met this year through training.

So, forgive my pity party yesterday. I temporarily lost sight of what this is all about. “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”

Take care, have a great race, but remember to enjoy the journey. Well, gotta go. It's swim time.

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

Love this post... agree 100%.

I hope you enjoy, truly enjoy Honu... the way you have enjoyed the journey.

Hope your injury fades away by the time the race starts too- I got a bit sick (darn me) so today I am borrowing your violins...

debbie said...

What a beautiful place to be. i am very jealous. I am truely enjoying going on this adventure with you. You create Very colorful, vivid images thru your words. thanks for that. Hope you have a good work out today !

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...