ART SUPPLIES

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

MY NAME'S RANDY AND I'M A COUCH POTATO

TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2009
46 days until Ironman

One of my fears is that one day I'll decide that being a couch potato is better than doing triathlons and just give up training. 

I spent Tuesday lying around watching TV. No swimming, no biking, no running. Just eating and watching TV. I was in full couch potato mode.

This week was supposed to be a typical training week. Same distances as last week except for adding a little bit of time to my runs. Basically my schedule called for 4,000- to 5,000-yard swims 3 times this week; 175 miles on the bike for the week; and 40 miles of running for the week. 

Monday I was right on schedule -- 4,700 yards swimming, 25 mile bike and a 6 mile run. No problem. Tuesday was supposed to be a 12 mile run, but Monday night I was having a couple if injuries flaring up that made it difficult to walk, let alone run. I won't bore you with details but I decided I had better slow it down now before these minor injuries turn into something that may affect my race.

I decided to spend a little R&R over the next two days and reduce the pounding on my body and give it time to heal itself. But the couch is always calling me. On days like today I always wonder if it's just my lazy side kicking in or did  I make the right decision to take it easy? 

I'm a lazy person by nature and a homebody so everyday is a challenge for me to keep off the couch. Every morning when my alarm goes off well before the sun rises I have to force myself to get out of bed and hit the pool or road. It never comes easy. 

So just to make sure I'm not tempted back onto the couch for good -- two days on the couch would definitely turn me back into a couch potato -- I'm spending most of Wednesday in the pool working on my swimming and probably doing some water jogging. 

Oh, the movie I was watching on TV Tuesday was a sports movie. Does that count as training?

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi Randy,
I love your stories. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with world. And me.

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...