ART SUPPLIES

Monday, January 8, 2018

RUNNING SHOE REVIEW

NOTE: This was originally publish in 2010 but I think it is still relevant if  you are into running shoes like I am.

I am by no means an expert on running shoes or running. All I know is what works for me. After competing in numerous triathlons and running events from sprint tris to marathons to two Ironman World Championships (plus all the thousands of miles of training in between each of them) I've tried a lot of different shoes: Asics, Nike, New Balance, Pearl Izumi, Zoot, Brooks, Vibram FiveFingers, sandals, barefoot, and even homemade shoes.
Running at the Energy Lab in Kona, Hawaii, in 2012. I loved running here. 


 Like I said, I'm no expert but I have ran a lot of miles in all kinds of shoes from extra padding to no padding. I've had all kinds of running injuries along the way. torn ALC, ripped meniscus tear, knee surgery, plantar fasciitis, strained muscles, a ruptured peroneal tendon in my ankle, broken toes, and I've even been hit by a huge SUV while running (not that that had anything to do with the shoes) and don't even get me started on whatever felt like a hammer pounding on my knee cap ever step I took while training for my first Ironman world championship. Try doing a 3 hour run with that going on.

 A little background on my running experience. I started running track in junior high school and continued running while in college although I only competed in one college cross-country meet. Over the past 30 years I only ran occasionally until moving to Hawaii and getting into triathlons back in 2007.

Since then I've ran pretty regularly until we moved from Hawaii back to the mainland a year and a half ago. I've ran in a couple of races on the mainland but haven't put in near the mileage I was in Hawaii. I've been working on that though and have been trying to run at least 5k five or six days a week. Last summer I took a break from my "real job" and had a job where I walked/ran anywhere from 8 miles to 18 miles five days a week pushing shopping carts. You learn a lot about your feet and legs when walking/running that much every day.

 Anyhow, Out of all the shoes I've tried below is a brief look at what I experienced. How they worked or didn't work FOR ME. Take my "reviews" with a grain of salt because, again, this is must what I experienced.

So here goes ...

 NIKE
My first running shoes ever were Nikes. Way back in high school, when Nike was still going school-to-school selling shoes out of the back of a van. I couldn't afford them even back then so my coach bought me a pair and I paid him back by working around his property for a few weekends. I've ran in many different models of Nikes over the years and at times really appreciated the extra padding/support the models I wore offered.

NEW BALANCE
Another of my favs for running shoes are the NB minimus. I have a trail running version of this as well but can't remember off hand the name of it.



Find them here on Amazon: New Balance Minimus

ZOOTS
My zoots spoof commercial can be seen here.

Here's an Amazon link for Zoots: Zoot Men's Ultra TT 7.0 Running Shoe

VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS
Vibrims in action can be seen here.

Here's the Amazon link for Vibrams Bikila shoes: Vibram Men's Bikila EVO

NOTE: I'm an Amazon Affiliate, which means Amazon pays me a small commission if you click on a link and buy something. It costs nothing extra for you. thanks

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...