ART SUPPLIES

Monday, December 21, 2009

WATERSPOUTS, FUN RUNS AND SIDEWAYS RAIN

The Wrighthouse Racing Clan!


Sunday was a great day. Myself, Karen, Rebecca and Aaron all ran in the 5th annual Jingle Bells Run in Kona. It was a 5K (3.1 miles) run from the pier and then along Alii Drive. It was great weather for the run - mild, in the 70s, and sunny. This was the first local event that Aaron has done and he did great, finishing the race in 29 minutes. Not bad for not running for the past 11 years.

Karen and I ran together and pushed Rebecca in her wheelchair. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and it actually helped me run through my injury (Plantar Fasciitis). It gave me something to lean on if I needed to. Karen, Rebecca and I finished in a blazing (haha) time of 39 minutes. But we had fun and I love doing those races as a family.

Next weekend is another Peaman event, a half-mile swim and 3.9 mile run. Aaron says he'll do the run and Karen may do both, the swim and the run.

After the race and during the awards ceremony it started getting a little windy. That's when we noticed a funnel cloud out over the ocean. Several more were reported here and there.


(Here's the front page photo and story in West Hawaii Today the next day on the waterspouts. Awesome foto. And yes there is a type-O in the headline (I didn't do it ... this time!)

Before the awards were finished the rains came. By the time we got home this is what the weather was doing: See the video:



The temps dropped into the 60s and Hail was reported just a few feet higher than where we live, which is really rare. The thunderstorm did last too long, however. Lots of thunder and lightning, wind and rain. Fortunately it didn't start during the race although that would have made it much more interesting ...




Oh, I almost forgot. I made the Ironman World Championship broadcast on NBC last Saturday! It was only a couple of minutes but how often does just an average guy get on national TV? And I'm grateful they didn't air most of the lame-o remarks I made during the race. I'll post my segment on here in a day or so so all you family members, (and anyone else who cares to,) who missed it can get a second chance to see me scared to death during the biggest race of my life.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...