ART SUPPLIES

Monday, December 24, 2018

A TRIATHLON POEM ...

I wrote this poem 9 years ago next month. It's inspired by the poem in "10 Things I Hate About You"

You o triathlon, 
builder of egos and breaker of hearts ... 

I hate it when you raise me up 
I hate it more when you tear me down. 
I hate it when you promise me glory 
Then throw me to the ground.

I hate your 5 a.m. wake up calls 
and swimming in the dark.
I hate your freezing cold olympic pools, 
and ocean swims with sharks. 

I hate it when it's time to ride 
and ride and ride some more. 
How your gale-force wind is always there,
that ain’t no Kona lore. 

I hate the way you make me run 
I hate it, but it’s cool. 
I hate the way you challenge me 
Like I'm back in school. 

I hate the fact we cannot draft 
Bike refs make sure of that. 
I hate those cards of yellow and red 
and that whole penalty tent format. 

I hate it when you make me laugh, 
even worse when you make me cry. 
But love that you made me an Ironman 
then branded me till I die.

I hate it when you’re not around 
after Kona’s race in the fall. 
But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you, 
not in swimming or biking 
not in running 
not even at all. 

*Inspired from “10 Things I Hate About You”

No comments:

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...