Wednesday, February 9, 2011


I've been having a problem with my ankle for over a year. It used to hurt once in a while on the bike and would swell up. Then it started hurting more often on the bike. After a while the swelling just never went away. Then it started hurting all of the time on the bike and some of the time on the run. Then it was hurting most of the time on the run and some of the time walking. Now it hurts all of the time.

I thought it might just be tendonitis and it would go away after Ironman but it just got worse. Some days I couldn't even walk. So about a month ago I stopped pretty much everything except swimming. No running, no biking and I try not to walk anymore than I have to.

I finally broke down and went to see a doctor. Actually two doctors. The family doc didn't know what it was and the X-ray didn't show anything so i went to an orthopedic surgeon who guessed it was probably tendonitis but wanted me to get an MRI to rule out the "Big C" and a few other things. My options will be surgery, physical therapy or both, or a walking boot/cast and physical therapy.

So this morning I went to have an MRI and as the technician was getting me positioned on the machine here is part of the conversation we had.

MRI TECH GUY: Do you have any metal in your body?

ME: No.

TECH: Any tattoos?

ME: One on my leg.

TECH: How old.

ME: Just over a year old.

TECH: Sometimes the iron in the ink can react to the magnets.

ME: Oh.

TECH: Your tattoo may tingle or get hot. But don’t worry, you’ll have an emergency shut-off switch just in case your leg catches fire.


ME: Haha. You had me going there for a minute.

TECH: (No reaction) Here’s the emergency shut-off switch Mr. Wrighthouse. Once the machine starts I won't be able to hear you so be sure to use the switch if you need it.

Needless to say, I was a little nervous as the huge magnetic machine wound up. Visions of my leg bursting into flames danced in my head as I held tightly to that emergency switch.

Well, OK, maybe he didn't really say my leg would catch on fire but that's what I heard as he explained what could happen.

I have to wait now until Monday, Valentine's Day, to see the doc and hear the results of the MRI.

Hope you all have a great week and a happy Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

RAndy , I love your ability to find humor in any situation. I haven't heard the results from your MRI. Aren't those things horrible. I had one last year on my foot (three breaks on the top of it) and was in that tube thingy for over an hour. It was so loud my ears went numb. When it was over I told the Tech I felt like I had been to a Ted Nugent concert( I have been to Two). And hes like... Oh you mean "CAN'T" catch fever and I'm like NO "DEAF" . Hope you got good news I am thinking about you and praying for you


What do you do when you don't have time to go out on location to do urban sketching? My time is very limited and I often don't have ...