ART SUPPLIES

Monday, August 16, 2010

BUTTERFLIES AND SUFFERING

The butterflies have landed with 54 days until October 9th.

Fifty-four days.

54.

ONLY 54 days until October 9th.

October 9th.

That's the day.

The day of my second Ironman.

My second Ironman World Championship in Kona.

In Kona, Hawaii.

Where I live.

Where I train.

Where I learned to swim.

Where I learned to run long.

Bike long.

And train long.

My home course.

My home.

With only 54 days left the butterflies are arriving by the boat load and taking up residence right where they did last year at this time - in my stomach. Not sure why I'm beginning to get nervous though. Other than the fact that there is only 54 days until race day and only about 40 days of effective training days left.

My training is on track - sort of. Injuries are under control - sort of. I even ran my fastest 5k since I was in school with sub-7 minute miles. That's amazing for these old legs. And this year I feel like a well-seasoned Ironman athlete. I know what to expect this time and, on the good side, I won't have TV cameras following me around at this ironman, but on the bad side, I won't have TV cameras following me around.

Although having TV cameras stuck a few inches from your face makes it hard to concentrate on the race they did help me get through the 140.6 miles last year. Especially the last half of the marathon when I really needed a boost. The camera guys showed up at the energy lab to pace me along, film me and asking me questions. It helped me make it out of the energy lab and on to the home stretch. I will miss that this year. But this year I'm going to embrace the experience. It'll probably be my last Ironman and I want to enjoy the suffering as much as possible.

Enjoy the suffering? I like that. That may be my motto this year. My mantra. Of course, I first have to wrangle up all those butterflies and get them under control, but after that, I'll work on enjoying the suffering.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

NERVOUS? I THINK THE WORD YOU NEED IS , EXCITED. THOSE ARE DEFINETLY "EXCITED" BUTTERFLIES , NOT "NERVOUS" BUTTERFLIES. YOU HAVE TRAINED SO HARD, YOU ARE SO READY FOR YOUR SECOND IRON MAN. 54 DAYS IS SO FAR AWAY. HURRY HURRY HURRY.

Energy Audit said...

So at last you have enjoyed your suffering. Hence this is very interesting that with the butterfly you can come across that.

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...