ART SUPPLIES

Friday, February 26, 2010

TODAY


There's a song that goes something like this:
"Yes I understand
that every life must end;
as we sit alone
I know someday we must go;
-----------
A young girl died on Queen K Tuesday night on a section of road -- a hill-- that I've ridden my bike on countless times.

Over the years I've suffered climbing that hill. Raced up it, laughed up it and flew down it. Today, I rode past the place where the car she was riding in was hit head-on by a suspected drunk driver. Debris still littered the area and all I could think was what a sad place that hill is now. A young life wasted and a family torn apart. I didn't know 17-year-old Angela Apostadiro, but after reading about her she seemed like a typical teen looking forward to a bright future. Please keep her family and friends in your thoughts and prayers. You can read the news article here.

Riding past that spot reminded me that we never know when our last day on earth will be. We always seem to think we have tomorrow and we always seem to take today for granted. So, even though we've all heard it a thousand times before, I'm reminding you again to not take today for granted. LIVE, LOVE AND LAUGH. FORGIVE AND FORGET, AND ALWAYS MAKE TIME FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

Here's a poem I found online at heidi.blog-city.com. I don't know if the blog's author wrote it but I hope she doesn't mind that I'm sharing it.
------
If I knew it would be the last time
That I'd see you fall asleep
I would tuck you in more tightly and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.

If I knew it would be the last time
that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.

If I knew it would be the last time
I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word
so I could play them back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time
I could spare an extra minute,
to stop and say "I LOVE YOU"
instead of assuming you know I do.

If I knew it would be the last time
I would be there to share your day,
Well I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.

For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.

There will always be another day
to say "I love you",
And certainly there's another chance
to say our "anything I can do?"

But just in case I might be wrong
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day.

That you didn't take extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.

So hold your loved ones close today
and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear.
Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me," "Thank You," or "It's OK"
And if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.
--------

Be safe.

2 comments:

skoshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

The crash was in many ways a repeat of one a few years ago when another outstanding Kealekehe HS senior, Sarah Ferguson, was killed by an idiotic driver. She was a shining star in Steve's swim team.
Only yesterday, Ironman.com posted the tragic, fatal accident only a few days ago of a 28-year-old up-and-coming pro female on a training ride in Australia. It just happens all so suddenly.

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...