ART SUPPLIES

Thursday, June 14, 2018

SQUEEZING OUR TRUCK SEATS INTO THESE


How many times in your life have you installed seat covers in our vehicles? I've probably installed 20 or more sets of seat covers in my life. 

I have to admit that installing seat covers in a pickup truck is the hardest though. Especially when the seat covers are custom made for the truck, which means they are extremely tight fitting. The problem is I have a 2017 Ram 2500 crew cab truck and installing seat covers on the backseat can be pretty difficult. Actually it’s the back of the backseat that’s the hard part.

I found a set of covers we liked on Amazon from a company that makes them to order. Reading the reviews though made me pause. One reviewer who had the same truck as me mentioned he had to remove his backseat to install the seat cover. What? Although that’s not that difficult to do, just time consuming, I’d rather not have to do that. Other reviewers mentioned that the covers were so tight it made it difficult to install. And still others mentioned that the directions were worthless. (I never read directions anyhow … so that doesn’t matter to me.)

Our Ram 2500 and fifth wheel.

I had already purchased similar covers for our half ton truck last summer so I knew they were tight and as far as removing the backseat I didn’t have to do that with the half ton so hopefully I wouldn’t have to on our 2500.
These are the seat covers we installed from Amazon. They come in a lots of different colors.

As you know we have twin 4-year-olds (almost 5) grandsons who stay with us half the week and a 6-year-old grandson who stays with us two days a week so our backseats can get pretty stained up if we don’t cover them.
It's rare but all three boys asleep in the backseat of the truck.

Once the covers arrived I tore open the package. I love the embroidered Ram logo. I couldn’t wait to get started on installing them. Of course it was rainy but hey, it’s Oregon. We can take it. 

I started with the backseat. I figured I might as well get the hard part over with first. The bottom went on easily. It was snug but that’s what they should be.

Now the hard part. I removed the headrests and worked the covers onto the seat back. The gap at the top of the seat back was barely wide enough for my fingers to fit in. My first thought was I was going to have to remove the seat after all. 

Fortunately, the bottom of the seat raises up so I was able to access the bottom of the seat back which I found to have a large gap that my hand and arm would fit easily. I tucked the seat cover straps down the top of the seat back then from the bottom I reached up and was able to grab the straps and connect them to their counterparts on the bottom. 

Viola! I wouldn’t have to remove the seat after all. I think it took about a half hour to install the back and about 15 minutes to install the front, which were very snug but went on. Just be patient and work them down the seat back from the top slowly.

You can check out the video I made of the backseat installation here: DON'T REMOVE YOUR BACK SEAT 

I’ll have the front seat installation video posted shortly. 

Yeah, this isn’t about sketching but it is about RVing (this is our tow vehicle) and our blog and YouTube channel are transitioning into a rv travel sketchers blog and channel. By the way, I do have an iPad sketch of an R Pod trailer superimposed over part of the installation video if you want to watch that as well. 

HERE'S THE AMAZON LINK FOR THE SEAT COVERS: Seat Covers on Amazon

So I hope this may help anyone who is having trouble installing seat coves on the backseat of their truck. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...