ART SUPPLIES

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

JUNE WEEK 2 SKETCHES

It's been pretty hectic around the house so I haven't gotten in much sketching ... or running ... or anything else that is hobby related done.

We are going on vacation soon so hopefully I'll get in some actual on-location sketching done instead of having to draw from photos.

I also got a new fountain pen that I'm trying out. The Platinum Carbon Desk Fountain Pen. I'll do a review on it soon.


Here's a couple of sketches I did last Saturday from photos. I think I sketched and painted both of these in under an hour.


Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego. My son is a Marine and went through here. This is from a photo I found online.  This is sketched in pencil with a just a little ink for the blacks. Watercolors are M Graham's painted with a Da Vinci Sable Round #10 travel brush on Stillman & Birn Beta Series A5 hardbound sketchbook. 

I used my new pen, the Platinum Carbon fountain pen to draw this sketch of the Point Reyes abandoned boat. Platinum Carbon makes a great waterproof fountain pen ink so you would think, or at least I thought, they would ship their pens with that same great ink in the cartridge with their pens. Nope. 

As soon as I got the ink wet it started to run. So I had to just dab the paint on. I'm not happy with the result. I immediately threw away the ink cartridge that came with the pen and replaced it with a converter and Platinum Carbon waterproof ink. Painted with M Graham watercolors, Da Vinci Sable round #10 travel brush on  Stillman & Birn Beta Series A5 hardbound sketchbook.

Marc Taro Holmes posted on his website Citizen Sketcher about painting portraits in layers so I thought I would give it a try. No sketching first, just building them with watercolors starting with simple shapes then adding detail in layers.

Although these are embarrassing to share (as are all of my sketches) I hope that someday I'll be able to look back on these and see them as a stepping stone. I also need to remember I've only been sketching and painting since December (6 months) so not to judge myself so harshly.


If you haven't taken any of Marc's online classes you should check them out on Craftsy. He's a great teacher. Here's his link on Craftsy

No comments:

A to Z SKETCHBOOK

S is for Skateboarder. My first sketch and watercolor in more than a year.  I always have trouble finding things to sketch. Well, maybe not ...